im 22 (how did that happen?)
my name is alex.
im a girl. i like painting and drawing.
I graduated and finally found a job.
I'm trying to lose weight - I'll be keeping up with my fitness blog! :)
“Well let’s see if you can’t make everyone proud. The category is ‘People Who Annoy You’…”
Is Junk Food Really Cheaper?
The answer is NO.
The “fact” that junk food is cheaper than real food has become a reflexive part of how we explain why so many Americans are overweight, particularly those with lower incomes. I frequently read confident statements like, “when a bag of chips is cheaper than a head of broccoli …” or “it’s more affordable to feed a family of four at McDonald’s than to cook a healthy meal for them at home.”
this bullshit fills me with a very specific kind of rage. so, TIME TO DEBUNK!
- that meal from mcdonalds takes virtually no time to acquire AND is available almost anywhere.
- the second meal? that “salad” is lettuce … with nothing else, not even dressing unless its just olive oil or some milk i guess? gross.
- also thats the price of each serving, not an entire loaf of bread, a bottle of olive oil, etc. that stuff adds up which means you have to have a lot of money at one time to buy it all.
- that meal probably took an hour and a half to make, which is a long fucking time when you work multiple jobs or are caring for a lot of people or dont have help! seriously, if you are a single parent of three who works, is spending an hour and a half every night preparing a meal a likely option?
- same with beans and rice! also, you know whats a fucking bummer? eating beans and rice every night because you are poor. ask any person who has done it and they will tell you (you can start with me).
- there is a “nutrition” argument here that lacks a follow up: poor people are more likely to be doing physical labor and need more than 571 calories per meal.
- you know who is less likely to know how to bake or prepare a chicken? people without access to the internet, or libraries, or who werent taught how to by their parents because their parents worked all the time. access to healthy foods is a classist issue and classism is cyclical, you fucking morons.
- seriously, these sorts of infographics make me want to fucking flip tables. do you know why people don’t eat more fresh fruits and vegetables? because fresh fruits and vegetables are expensive, because they take a long time to prepare, because they dont live near a grocery store that has a decent produce section, because they dont have reliable transportation to get groceries to and from the grocery store, because they dont have the energy to plan all of the shit that is involved in making healthy, intentional, filling, balanced meals. basically: poor people get fucked, and then we get BLAMED for being lazy.
- eating “healthy”, aka access to fresh fruits and vegetables, is a privilege, first, foremost, always. so fuck you new york times and your ignorant goddamn infographic.
- there are SYSTEMATIC REASONS that we do not have equal access to fresh fruits and vegetables. they are very REAL problems. besides, you know, systematic poverty in america, the total mis-distribution of farm subsidies is a perfect place to start. read about that, then either get bent or start working on the actual problem.
No. You had sex with a girl when you were a child. It ended in pregnancy. You are attacking the morality of a 14 year old girl who terminated a pregnancy that would have resulted in a child that neither you or her had the capacity to care for. A girl that preserved your and her own youth, and stopped a child being raised in circumstances that are not fit for any child. You really should be assessing your own morality. What kind of 14 year old boy fucks a 14 year old girl, without protection, gets her pregnant and then runs an online smear campaign against her for doing what was best for her, her family and you? What? You think you had the capacity to raise a child at age 14/15? How would you feed it or look after it? You wouldn’t. You were going to dump it on her or your own parents, live like the carefree little shit you are and occasionally play with the child when you could be bothered and think “Wow, what a good, brave young father I am.” You made the mistake, she went through the trauma of saving your youth for you. You owe her so much better than this. You absolutely disgust me. Less than forward-slash three, you’re real fucking remorseful. That’s poetry that is. You’re breaking my heart kid. That girl should have every right to decide what she wants to do to her body. The idea that you should take responsibility and give birth implies that you are responsible to this fetus and you owe it something. A pregnant person does not owe a fetus anything any more than they owe you an apology for being alive. Try again, pro lifers. Pro-Choice.
as selfish and immature as this sounds, i’m so tired of not having anything go my way or get what i want. not so much physical materialistic things - but i mean like a job i don’t hate, a boyfriend who isn’t an asshole, a bus that will actually come on time, not having to look at myself in the mirror and wonder where it all went wrong…
it’s sounds whiny. i know it is. but i just want things to finally go my way. i loathe this job. absolutely hate it. i don’t like the majority of people i work with and i hate doubting the relationship with chris. i love him but its so true when they say “it doesn’t matter if you love someone, just because you love someone doesn’t mean they’re right for you.”
sometimes i truly feel that way. and the most frustrating part is - i’m not strong enough. i truly believe we’ll work out. but then there’s a part of me that says “no it won’t and it won’t get better.” maybe we should just take a break.
the weak links holding back our species from evolving
can we just fucking water board you please?
Holy Christ this can NOT be serious.
(Source: sandandglass, via bectobiologist)
layout by iyo-d